What does 10 digit PAN number mean? Permanent Account Numbers (PAN) is one of the most vital information for every salaried or business person in India. But do you find it difficult to remember your PAN number. I know there are many people like me who can remember many such useful details in daily life. In this article I will help you to decode your PAN number.
Anyway in this article we will try to decode PAN card number in a generic way so that you can at-least find some way to remember this alpha-numeric code. If you are interested to know more about the history of PAN number then refer to wiki page and enjoy the detailed story.
How To Decode PAN Number
If you are those who don’t know yet how many characters are there in your PAN number then you should know it right now. Total 10 characters where first 5 characters are letters followed by 4 numbers and then last one again a letter.
Here I can’t share my PAN number to explain this article and not even share others as it will not be a good practice. PAN number is a confidential number and you should take necessary measures to keep it secret, otherwise it can be miss-used.
Anyway we will explain in a generic way so that anyone can decode their PAN number easily without any hassle.
- Among first 5 characters, 3 are random characters generated from system. It can be any alphabets from A-Z. It can be any combination eg. AAA to ZZZ.
- Next character, 4th one indicates the status of that person or you can say that what kind of person the PAN car holder is. Check out the possible types of people who can have PAN card.“P” stands for Individual
“C” stands for Company
“H” stands for Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
“A” stands for Association of Persons (AOP)
“B” stands for Body of Individuals (BOI)
“G” stands for Government Agency
“J” stands for Artificial Juridical Person
“L” stands for Local Authority
“F” stands for Firm/ Limited Liability Partnership
“T” stands for Trust
- Fifth character is the first letter of your last name or surname. Means if your name is XYZ Joshi, then the fifth character will be J.
- Next 4 numeric characters are again random numbers generated from system. It can be anything from 0001 to 9999.
- Last character in the PAN is an alphabetic check digit.
- If you have issued your PAN card recently then you can see the date of issue besides your photo vertically.
- If you lost your PAN card and don’t even record your PAN number then you can find your PAN number with Know Your PAN service from Income Tax India portal.
Hope this simple guide will help you to decode the pattern behind the 10-digit alphanumeric number. Make sure to keep your Permanent Account Numbers (PAN) details secure as these days many people are misusing these documents.