Are you planning to move to a different city but worrying about changing your mobile number? Now there is a good news for you. From this Friday, the Telecome regulatory body has launched Nationwide Mobile Number Portability in India so that you need not to change mobile number from one state to another.
Different mobile operators like Airtel, Vodafone, Idea, RCom, Idea Cellular, and Uninor including state-run BSNL and MTNL have issued statements about the full mobile number portability (MNP) to be rolled out. This will allow the customers to retain their numbers across the country wherever they move.
Few other private providers such as Videocon, MTS etc. have indicated to roll out the service to meet the government’s July 3 deadline.
This single step will benefit millions of mobile phone users as now onward people who are relocating to a different city will not have to change their numbers. The Nationwide Mobile Number Portability or the national MNP process will make it possible for the customers who want to carry their existing mobile number from one telecom circle to another across the country. They can also choose the operator of their choice without changing their existing numbers.
The MNP process is divided into 22 telecom service areas or circles. Since 2011, Mobile number portability in India was available within circles. But this is the first time it is being possible across the country.
Nationwide Mobile Number Portability in India means that mobile phone users can now change their telecom network circle whenever they move to a different city. So now no more burden of roaming charges by the time you avail yourself a new number in a new city. Moreover you can also retain the same number if you wish to while shifting from one city to another.
Nationwide Mobile Number Portability & its Highlights
1. The Nationwide mobile number portability implies that now you don’t have to give up your mobile number which you might have been using for years.
2. With the process of MNP Service in India, mobile phone users can now change their telecom network circle if they move to a different city.
3. Mobile number portability process in India is same as the nationwide intra circle MNP or the intra-city mobile number portability. You can check with the operator for details regarding number porting.
4. The subscribers who want to change to another service provider can message to 1900 and pay Rs 19 for MNP.
5. You may also transfer your existing prepaid balance from one circle to the other. Few service operators are offering this facility to the customers provided you do not switch to another operator and stay within their network.
Different Mobile service providers are offering many plans & flawless porting services to attract customers. E.g. Airtel is offering free incoming on national roaming from the time a MNP request is raised and until it is processed. Definitely your request should move within the Airtel network. Recently state-run operator BSNL has made the national roaming free. It is also expected that, with the nationwide MNP service now rolled out, different tariff plans like the national roaming tariffs, inter-circle mobile calls will be reduced by other operators very soon.
According to the data released by TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India), India has 973.35 million wireless subscribers till April end. TRAI is receiving around 3 million intra-circle MNP requests every month. As of April, more than 157 million subscribers have requested for number porting & successfully ported to other operators. Telecom operators are expected to launch many special offers & attractive plans to retain their existing customers.
If you are thinking about how to do mobile number portability from Airtel to Vodafone or from or Vodafone to Idea then this nationwide mobile number portability process is the solution for you. So now move freely to any city with this awesome facility of mobile number portability from one state to another.