Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme is the new initiative from the Government of India which will ensure Free LPG gas connections to Women from BPL Households. This Rs 8000 crore project is aimed to provide five crore LPG connections to the families of below poverty line. A financial support of Rs 1600 will be provide for each LPG connection under the newly launched PM Ujjwala Yojana scheme.
Most of the poor people in rural India have very limited access to cooking gas (LPG) and need to depend on other sources which has serious health hazards associated. Experts say that, an open fire in the kitchen for an hour is similar to burning 400 cigarettes. According to WHO approximations, unclean cooking fuels causes around 5 lakh deaths in India alone. Also a substantial number of acute respiratory diseases can be seen in young children. The new PM Ujjwala Yojana Scheme will ensure universal coverage of cooking gas in the country by providing free gas connections to the BPL families.
A budget of around Rs. 2000 crore for is allocated for the financial year 2016-17. This will ensure deposit free LPG connections to 1.5 crore women belonging to the below poverty line families. The PM Ujjwala Scheme will be continued further for two more years namely 2017-18 and 2018-19 to cover another 3.5 crore households.
For the first time, the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas will implement a welfare scheme for the benefit of the crores of poor women of the country. Read the complete details & guidelines of PMUY scheme in the official website of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas Here. Also see the Advertisement for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Hindia.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme – Key Details
Women of the BPL household are eligible to get the benefits of the Ujjwala Yojana scheme. For availing the benefits under this Pradhan mantra yojana, the woman head of the family who currently does not have access to an LPG connection may apply for a new gas connection to the LPG distributor. After successful completion of all the necessary steps, a connection will be issued to the eligible beneficiaries.
The previous schemes like Suraksha Bima Yojana, Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana, Atal pension Yojana, Mudra Loan Yojana, Fasal Bima Yojana from the Government of India is performing well. PMUY is another effort from the Government which is expected to provide the intended benefits to a mass population of rural India
There are two cylinder options of 14.2KG or 5KG to be chosen from. The government aims to not just distribute free LPG connections but also reduce the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuels. The objective of the scheme is to empower women and protect their health. The scheme is also expected to provide employment to rural youth in supply chain of the cooking gas.
Eligibility Criteria for a new PMUY LPG Connection
Some of the important criteria for eligibility under the PM Ujjwala scheme are:
- The applicant must belong to a BPL (Below Poverty Line) family with no prior gas connection.
- The applicant must be a women candidate with minimum age of 18 years as on 01 May 2016.
- The applicant details should be matched with the SECC-2011 data.
PM Ujjwala Yojana Scheme Documents Required
You must enclose certain documents along with the application form to get a new gas connection under PMUY. All the documents are not mandatory, but few necessary ones to verify your that you are a BPL candidate permanent and your residence address.
- Aadhar Card
- Bank Statement
- Driving License/ Passport
- Lease Agreement
- Voter ID Card
- Telephone / Electricity / Water Bill
- Self-Declaration attested by Gazetted Officer
- Ration Card
- Flat Allotment / Possession Letter
- House Registration Documents
- Life Insurance Policy (LIC)
How to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
The PM Ujjwala Yojana application forms are available at all the LPG distribution centers across the country. The interested BPL applicants can apply for the scheme by filling up the application form.
- First of all one needs to collect the Ujjwala Application Form from the LPG outlets or Download Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Form.
- Then fill all the details in the form like name, contact details, Adhaar Number, Jan Dhan / Bank account number along with other required information. A declaration form needs to be provided at the end of the application form.
- All the required documents like a copy of Aadhar card, residence proof, bank account statement/passbook etc. need to be attached along with the form.
- Submit the completed application form along with the attached documents at your nearest LPG distribution center.
- All the provided details will then be verified against the SECC-2011 data for eligibility by LPG field officials.
- If all the measures are fulfilled for a new LPG connection, the connection will be issued by the oil marketing company.
The cost of connection under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will be borne by the Government. However, the applicants can chose for EMI option to cover the cost of stove and first refill of an LPG cylinder.
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will ensure a massive number of LPG gas connections to BPL household ensuring better health and a smoke free India. The connections will be given in the name of Women head of the family. Consultation will done with the State Governments and Union territories to identify the BPL households with no gas connection. So what are your thoughts about this new initiative? Please free to share your thoughts and queries in the comments below.